Camping for Beginners
Welcome to the great outdoors!
Are you ready to try camping? This five-lesson course will help you get started. By the end of this course you'll know what camping gear you'll need, how to find a campground, what to expect when you get to your destination, how to set up your campsite, and how to be a good camper.
What's in the lessons?
Each lesson will offer camping tips, links to related articles on the camping site, comments from fellow campers, and suggestions from me, About's camping guide. Camping is fun, and easy. Common sense and a little knowledge will get you started. The rest is up to you. Do your homework, be prepared, and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Camping Lesson 1 - Gearing Up
- Camping Lesson 2 - Where To Camp
- Camping Lesson 3 - Setting Up Camp
- Camping Lesson 4 - Breaking Camp
- Camping Lesson 5 - Arriving Home After Camping
- Margaret: "Thank you so much for your free online camping course. I am a beginner camper and ready to break out on my own. So far I have only experienced tent camping with my family in an RV not far away, but I am ready to go where RVs do not. I found a great book on 'Tent Camping in the Carolina’s,' and then I found your Web site. I now feel ready to actually venture out alone.
- Kelley: "Thanks so much for all the helpful information. Our whole family is looking forward to our first camping trip for the 4th of July weekend and you've made my job so much easier!"
- S.D.: "Thank you for your course. Your ideas and guidance are very useful."
- Barbie: "This information is really really good. I wish I had read this before I went camping the first time."
- Richard: "Many thanks for this series.... I like everything about your approach, including your recommendation of Target and Wal-Mart for supplies (which proves you aren't just shilling for the big sportsgood retailers or manufacturers.)"
- Sheila: "I am new to camping and I am joining an experienced group of campers at this event. I want to read up on camping and this course has provided me with info on what I need to know about."
- Tasha: "I just received my first lesson, and I love it. I used to camp a lot as a kid, but I never did any of the packing. It's been over 12 years since I've gone, and I'm excited about going by myself and my daughter. So far you have helped me out a lot."
Lesson 1 will arrive today and the remaining lessons will arrive one day apart.
Is your email box being filtered for spam? Don't let your newsletters end up in the trash. To ensure that you receive your mailings, please configure your spam filters to bypass any messages with a from address that ends in "about.com" (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org). For more detailed information, please see our Email GuideSite.