How many times have you arrived at the campground only to find out that you have forgotten some essential piece of gear, like your tooth brush, a can opener, lawn chairs, sunblock, or bug spray? Well, it has happened to the best of us. However, with just a little planning, you can ensure that you'll be relaxing at the campground knowing that you have brought along everything that you need to enjoy the outdoors in the fashion to which you are accustomed. And your insurance is nothing more than your camping check list.
Shelter and bedding are one of the first priorities when camping. So let's begin the camping check list with the basic items needed.
Shelter and Bedding (essentials)
- tent - make sure your tent is appropriate for the terrain and weather. A rain fly is recommended, not only for rain protection, but also as a sun shield. And use tent stakes that will secure your tent from blowing away in the wind.
- tarp - as a further means of protecting your gear, by using it under, in, or over your tent. With some extension poles, rope, and a little ingenuity, you can construct a sun room.
- sleeping bag - use one with a temperature rating that will meet the extremes of cold that you expect to encounter.
- sleeping pad - besides being a cushion that adds to your sleeping comfort, it's also insulation from the cold ground.
- headrest - the inflatable pillows are convenient, but a rolled up towel or shirt will work too.
These are the essentials. Now ask yourself what other creature comforts might come in handy for this area of your campsite.
Next page > sleeping comfort