There are a number of RV-related events that are held annually, but plan ahead for these because their popularity is growing every year. If you can’t fit them into your schedule this year, bookmark this page and plan to attend a future event.
May 6-8, 2011 Carroll Kniceley Conference Center, Bowling Green, Kentucky
The RV Safety and Education Foundation (RVSEF) is, again, sponsoring its RV Lifestyle, Education & Safety Conference. You can fill out the online registration form or email RVSEF at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Read a description of this year’s RVSEF courses. The following is a partial list of classes grouped by categories:
- Safety: RV Weight & Tire; Carbon Monoxide; Fire & Life Safety; Towing with a Motorhome; RV 110 Electrical Systems/ RV 12 volt Electrical Systems
- RV equipment: Brake Controls; Towable Braking & Suspension Systems; Hitches and Proper Hooku
- RV insurance: Technical & Roadside Assistance
- RV systems operation and maintenance: Propane System; Water Systems; Appliances; Generator Maintenance
- RV related laws: Road Use Laws; Supplemental Braking for Motorhomes
- Buying an RV: Matching Trucks and Trailers; Chassis; Warranties; RV Financing; What you should expect from your dealer; Inspecting an RV for Purchase; Taking Proper Delivery of Your Unit; Buying An RV- Pros, Cons, & Must Haves
- Full-timing: Emotional Aspects of the Full-timing Decision; What Does It Cost to Full-time; Packing Your RV for Full-timing; No Right Way to Full-time; Working On the Road
- Dealing with Medical Issues on the Road
- RV Clubs: What’s out there to Join
RVSEF offers driving safety programs, RV weighing programs, fire safety, an RV safety education packet and more.
July 8-17, 2011, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Stampede Ticket Office at (403) 269-9822 or 1-800-661-1767 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. MST.
The annual Calgary Stampede, “the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth” is always an exciting event. This is the largest rodeo held in North America, but is actually much more than a rodeo. It’s a festival, exhibition, stage show, midway, agricultural competition, chuckwagon race, music concert, and much more.
The 2011 Calgary Stampede kicks off with the Parade beginning a 9 a.m. on Friday, July 8, 2011.
The GMC Rangeland Derby chuckwagon races strict rules and penalties are more than enough to make you wonder how any of them make it through ten days of racing, penalty free. The chuckwagon races take place nightly, at 8 p.m. followed by this year’s Grandstand Show, Volte.
Volte, is a 75-minute outdoor show with seating for 20,000. Performers include the Young Canadians of the Calgary Stampede, and promise seemingly flying horses, a 39-foot aluminum puppet, and imaginary Elizabethan gardens.
The schedule for the 2011 Calgary Stampede lists dates and times for each event, some of which include:
- The Heavy Horse Show July 8-11 features Belgian, Clydesdale, Percheron and Shire horses.
- Calgary Stampede Cowboy Up Challenge July 9-11 – an equestrian/rider sporting event combining their skills of maneuvering through obstacles with speed
- Beef Cattle Showcase July 8-17
- Metal Art Showcase on July 9, is a spinoff of the Blacksmith Competition, July 6-10
- Vintage Tractor Pull, Show & Shine, July 9-10
- Cutting Horse Competition July 10-14
- World Stock Dog Championship July 10–11 – a competition of dogs moving three sheep through a challenging course, then into a pen
- Youth and Agriculture in Action Showcase July 12–17, the 4-H Showcase
- Canadian National Miniature Horse Show July 12–14
- Heavy Horse Pull July 14–17 begins with an auction on July 14 followed by three evening horse pull events starting at 7 p.m.
- International Livestock Auctioneer Championships 2011 July 14–16 where auctioneers compete for the best in clarity, rhythm, voice control, livestock knowledge, ability to spot bids and conduct a sale
- Working Cow Horse Classic July 15–17 tests the cattle horse in maneuvers like figure eights, then controlling a steer at full run through another series of maneuvers
- International Youth Livestock July 16–17
- UFA Steer Classic July 16
- Quality Beef Competition July 18
Make reservations early as even the RV parks fill up quickly.
August 3-6 in Long Beach, CA; August 7-9, 2011 at South Lake Tahoe, CA; and August 9-14 in Reno-Sparks, NV
If you haven’t heard of Hot August Nights man you'd better split nowheresville and find out what it's like to be a cool cat. Hot August Nights is a blast, with something to get everyone cranked. It'd be a real drag not to make this scene at least once.
Formerly Hot August Nights has been a Reno tradition, but things are changing. In addition to Hot August Nights Reno August 8-14, the word from the bird is that Hot August Nights will be held in Long Beach, California August 3-6 and in South Lake Tahoe August 7-9.
Hot August Nights is the boss RVers event. If you just want an exciting function, there’s more than enough to satisfy you. Lend me your ear, man.
Too hot for you? Spend some time at the auction in an air-conditioned building. But don’t bring your wallet unless you plan to spend some serious long green. Guaranteed you’ll flip for a cherry T-Bird, Corvette, ’57 Chevy or whatever kills you.
Outside you can find show-n-shines or swap meets, join the controlled cruises, or take your chick to the sock hop, for a moonlit walk on the beach at Lake Tahoe, or gambling in one of Nevada’s casinos.
If you’re a vendor at events like this, Western Pacific Events manages vendor space for Hot August Nights events.
If you want to register a hot rod the deadline is May 15 but your ride must be a 1972 or earlier American or European car or truck. But a word of warning, if you want dibs on a good spot, the deadline for reservations at a hotel or RV park is probably much sooner than that. Don’t wait until you’re ready to split or you’ll have to stay down by Carson City, about 30 miles down a very steep and winding Highway 50. I once came screamin’ into Nevada’s capital city after I burned out a set of brakes on that road, so shoot low, they’re riding Shetlands (be careful.)