By Monica Prelle, About.com Guide
- Camping Tips for Beginners
- Camping "How-To"s
- Camping Tips from Fellow Campers
- Sleeping Bag Tips and FAQ
Camping Tips for Beginners
Are you new to the great outdoors? Use these camping tips to get started in the wonderful world of camping.
- Why go camping?
- Tips for gearing up for camping
- Advice and tips about where to camp
- Tips for setting up your campsite
- Tips for breaking camp
- Tips for arriving home after camping
- What not-to-do on a camping trip
- Glossary of camping terms
Easy step-by-step instructions and tips for various campsite tasks.
- Back a camper
- Cook with a Dutch Oven
- Extinguish a campfire
- Get started hiking
- Go backpacking
- Leave no trace
- Make your neighbors miserable
- Make s'mores
- Prevent mold and mildew
- Purify water
- Season Dutch ovens
- Start a campfire
- Stay dry at camp
- Winter camp
Camping Tips from Fellow Campers
Campers are friendly folks always ready to offer advice or lend a helping hand to fellow campers. Whether it's talking about where they've camped, tips about their RV, or trading camping recipes, the best camping tips come from fellow campers.
Sleeping Bag Tips and FAQ
Finding a sleeping bag that fits is easy. Camping tip: Just stand up in the sleeping bag at the store. If it doesn't extend over your head, then it's too small. If you have to stretch your arms, then it's probably too big.
What about the type of filling to get and how much? Here are answers to questions commonly asked about sleeping bag materials and types.
- Can you tell me what to look for in a quality sleeping bag?
- Do I need to use a pad under my sleeping bag?
- Should I get my son an adult sleeping bag to grow into?
- What are the pros and cons of various sleeping bag materials?
Tent Tips and FAQ
Camping tips on what to look for when buying a tent, how to prepare it for the first time camping, tips on maintaining your tent, and what purpose the various components play in keeping you dry and comfortable.
- Can I cook in my tent?
- Do I need to ventilate the tent?
- How do I repair shock cord tent poles?
- How big of a tent do I need?
- How heavy should my tent be?
- How should I clean my tent?
- Should I seal the tent seams?
- Should I set my tent up under a tree?
- Should I tent camp in a thunderstorm?
- Should I use a ground cloth?
- What's the best way to store my tent?
- What are single and double wall tents?
- What is a footprint tarp?
- What is a gear loft?
- What is a tub floor?
- What should I look for in a new tent?
- Why is my tent fly tacky?
- Why should I stake my tent?
- Will my tent be safe if I leave the campsite?
Types of Campgrounds
There are great camping destinations in every state. Know the differences between private and public campgrounds. Read campground reviews from fellow campers.
Basic Camping Advice and Tips
I remember my first camping trip. I was eleven years old. Me and several other neighborhood kids decided to sleep out on the flood wall overnight. With mom's permission and dad's WW-II sleeping bag, I joined the others about sundown. Before laying out our beds, we had to make a last minute run to the local store for rations: Rainbo bread, bologna and Pepsi. Now we were prepared to set up camp and venture through the night.
The following camping tips address my three basic premises for enjoyable camping: comfortable sleep, delicious meals and outdoor recreation.
- Making your bed
- More about bedding
- Sheets, blankets and pillows
- Campsite shelters
- What kind of tent
- Staking the tent
- Setting up camp
- What to do next