The Bottom Line: The Coleman Instant tent truly is instant and is an ideal car camping tent or family camping tent. The internal pole system takes about a minute to pitch, staking the tent takes a few minutes more and then you are done setting up camp and free to enjoy the outdoors.
Pros and Cons
- The Coleman Instant tent is very easy to set-up and truly only takes about a minute (as advertised).
- The internal pole system with attached poles makes set-up quick, easy and thoughtless.
- The Coleman Instant Tent comes in 3 different sizes: 4, 6 and 8, so you can get the same design and right size for your needs.
- One large door makes moving in and out of the tent comfortable.
- The size ratings run a little small, so order up one size to have the space for your family and comfort you desire.
- The tent is fully taped and waterproof, but there is no vestibule or rainfly.
- The internal pole system makes this tent bulky to pack and heavy in the bag.
Specifications From the Manufacturer
- 3-season family and car camping tent
- 4, 6 or 8 person design and capacity
- 1 door, 1 room and 4 mesh windows
- Instant Tent 4 Dimensions: 8 ft x 7 ft (fits a queen size air mattress)
- Instant Tent 6 Dimensions: 10 ft x 9 ft (fits two queen size air mattresses)
- Instant Tent 8 Dimensions: 14 ft x 8 ft (fits two queen size air mattresses with extra space)
- Tent Fabric: Heavy duty, 75-150D fabric with fully taped seems
- Instant Tent 4 Peak Height: 4 feet 11 inches
- Instant Tent 6 Peak Height: 5 feet 11 inches
- Instant Tent 8 Peak Height: 6 feet 4 inches
- Instant Tent 4 Weight: 9.8 lbs
- Instant Tent 6 Weight: 24.64 lbs
- Instant Tent 8 Weight: 37.7 lbs
- Poles: Internal pre-attached pole system
Personally, I was skeptical about the Instant Tent's advertised 60-second set-up. I didn't think it was possible, but it is actually very quick and easy to pitch, which makes getting to camp and setting up less stressful. Then most time consuming part is not actually pitching the tent, but staking it down.
The Instant Tent comes in three different size ratings, so that you can select the right size tent for your needs. However, the sizes run a little small, so I suggest ordering up a size so you have ample space. The instant Tent 4 is fairly small and not tall enough to stand in, so even if you don't need more space, I recommend the 6, so that you can stand-up and easily move around.
The tent fabric is fully waterproof with taped seems, so a rainfly is not necessary. Mesh windows open up for ventilation. Even though the tent is waterproof, it is not an ideal tent for rainy weather because there is no vestibule. If you plan on camping in rainy weather, I suggest bring a tarp for extra weather protection.
The Instant Tent is ideal for a family car camping trip.
Favorite feature: The best feature and selling point is the instant set-up. I was happily surprised at how simple and quick the tent was to pitch, even solo. A quick set-up allows you to easily move camps frequently on camping road-tip and/or have more time to relax when you arrive to camp.
Instant Tent 4 - Recommended Retail Price: $135.99
Instant Tent 6 - Recommended Retail Price: $179.00
Instant Tent 8 - Recommended Retail Price: $239.99
More Tents and Camping Gear:
- For more awesome tent reviews, check out About Camping's Tent Buyer's Guide.
- Looking for discount camping equipment? Try our guide to discount camping equipment online.
- Need to buy a gift for an outdoors lover? Have a look at the best camping gifts for campers.
- If you like the Coleman Instant tent you might also like the REI Hobitat 4. Check out About Camping's camping gear reviews and tent tips on About Camping.